I just bought a 2010 Mercedes Benz.  The multimedia system in the car
has a PCMCIA slot which will take a 32GB card with an adapter.  The
system works OK, I guess, complete with display,but I don't see any
obvious reason that Mercedes couldn't install some version of
squeezecenter in the car.

The Mercedes system: (a) takes only MP3s (b) has a 4,000 track limit
(c) has a 255 file folder limit, including subfolders (this is a
ridiculous limitation and causes almost all the relevant problems) and
(d) doesn't read tags: it just displays the folder and filename on the
screen.

So I've made this work by using artist folders (with a misc folder for
artists without many tracks) and then using mp3tag to make the filename
[first letter of album name]-[track no]-[song name]-[album name].  This
at least puts the files in the right order, and although the album name
(and sometimes the song title) is almost invariably cut off I can sort
of make it work.  But it makes me realize how spoiled Slim Devices have
made me.

And when you think how close this is to being useful -- it reads a 32GB
card; it plays music; it allows you to select music by twirling a dial
and move between folders by punching the dial, and it has a display --
just a little more software and --- oh, well.

--
jfalk