Thanks, everyone, for the replies.  I tried both suggested conversion
commands below and my FLAC files played.  It's not clear to me upon
listening, however, that the desired outcome of attenuating a target
octave is actually happening.

Code:
--------------------
    flc flc * *
        # runs ALL flc through SoX to notch out one designated octave for
tinnitus treatment
        # in this example the octave is centered on 5.8k using sinc function

        # FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}
        [flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [sox] -q -t wav - -t flac -C 0
sinc 8.7k-4.35k -
--------------------

Code:
--------------------
    flc flc * *
        # runs ALL flc through SoX to notch out one designated octave for
tinnitus treatment
        # in this example the octave is centered on 5.8k using sinc function

        # FT:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}D:{RESAMPLE=-r %d}
        [sox] -q -t flac $FILE$ -t flac -C 0 $RESAMPLE$ - sinc 8.7k-4.35k

I recorded some output into Audacity and ran it through a spectrum
analysis but it was not obvious that frequencies were being notched
out.  I even tried a wider "sinc" range and got the same results.

My custom-convert.conf file is in the same folder as my convert.conf
file.  Please let me know if that is not the correct location.  I've
been restarting LMS after any change in the file.

Can someone confirm this is working?

--
Apesbrain