Sometimes I wish all these "squeezebox is about to die" threads instead
could be focused on posting specific ideas regarding what new/changed
features users are missing. I started a thread previously about this:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94987-What-is-missing-from-your-Squeezebox-experience

Some features can only be implemented by Logitech, but a lot of features
can be implemented by third party developers even if Logitech doesn't
want to focus on implementing new features, all that's needed is that
people post their specific ideas of how the Squeezebox could be
improved. The ideas needs to be specific, as an example it's not enough
to say that you want improved playlist management, you also need to say
what you find frustrating with the current solution or what specific
features you are missing in the current solution.

Also, honestly, it's kind of strange to ask if the product which more or
less provides the best price/performance on the market is dead just
because there haven't been a new software release during last 5 months
(7.7.2 was released in end of March this year). I'm pretty sure a lot of
other music streamer hardware vendors have had periods when there were
more than 5 months since the last software release. I think some people
just assume the product is dead because Logitech doesn't use the
community for beta testing as much as they have done before, it's easy
to make this mistake, I often do it also myself.

However, it's important to remember that it can just be because Logitech
want to test things more before they make it available for us to beta
test or that they are working with some top secret feature/hardware
which they don't want us to know about. The situation has been pretty
much similar for my third party plugins, I've done less plugin releases
during 2011/2012, but this doesn't mean I have done less development,
I've done a lot of music related development during 2011/2012, it's just
that most of it hasn't reached a stage yet where it's ready to be
exposed to the public. An advantage with Logitech doing less releases is
actually that third party developers can focus more on implementing new
features and less on adapting to interface/protocol changes introduced
by Logitech, but the switch to SQLite in 7.6.0 caused quite a bit of
work for me during first half of 2011.

Finally, since my Squeezebox setup currently is working great and I can
extend it in more or less any way I want through third party
plugins/applets or by patching the firmware, I don't see any urgent need
to change anything as long as I don't have a critical need for new
hardware. Also, with all the available third party Android and iOS
Squeezebox player apps, it's easy to turn an old iOS or Android device
into a Squeezebox if Logitech would stop selling their hardware. It's
possible to spend the time complaining on Logitech, but personally even
if I sometimes tends to get involved in threads like this one I prefer
to spend the time improving and enjoying my Squeezebox system rather
than complaining on Logitech which already provides the best streaming
solution on the market for people with my needs.