From: gingerneil [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 29 October 2005 08:20
To: discuss@lists.slimdevices.com
Subject: [slim] OT - General networking Question

Hi all,
Lots and lots of knowledge here, so I'm hoping someone can help with a
question.
I currently have a Netgear DG834G ADSL wireless hub (or maybe its a
switch, I'm not sure!). When we move house, I'm planning on installing
cat5 and a patch panel. Due to layout, I wont be able to have the
netgear close to the patch panel - so I'll need another switch next to
the patch panel. How, therefore, do I wire the netgear and a new switch
(ie www.ebuyer.co.uk Quickfind code: 63776) into the network so that I
can use the netgear to access the internet from the PCs/SBs ??

I'm thinking:
PC ---- switch(via patch panel)
then
switch ----- netgear.
Do I then just set the gateway/dns etc of the PCs to the LAN side
address of the netgear like I do now, or does the inclusion of the
switch complicate things ?? Also, can I use any port on the switch to
connect up to the netgear on any of its ports ??

Any help much appreciated.....

--
gingerneil