I'm pretty sure it was Mplayer - I think it is associated with screen
saver and/or power save for the monitor ?

I don't think it is worth testing this config. as other problems are
ocurring which just distract.  What may be more interesting is to
change slimserver-convert.conf  so that Mplayer produces messages -
from "really-quiet" to "verbose 1" and keep run slim from the CMD
window.  This may still have cmd window problems but it will let us see
the "packets lost" which I think is still key.

Just for the record what is the "power" of your system
Processor ?
Windows version ?
memory ?

--