Disclaimer: I don't know anything and I'm wildly guessing here.

That said: I'm not so convinced the local server would not fit the UE
architecture.
First of all, it doesn't make sense to do all this new Smart Radio stuff
and infrastructure just to re-brand the Radio so I'd think there has to
be a broader plan.
Second: since in the UE architecture the server doesn't have to control
the device, it becomes a less critical component and since you don't
have to switch servers, it would be much easier to use a tiny server
like the Touch has it.
When they originally developed the Touch I was convinced (and wrote a
dozen change requests or so to that extent) that a more
source-independent architecture as the UE Smart Radio has it would be a
necessary precondition to make the embedded server work and I still
believe I was right, although I would not do it like the UE platform
does.