Regarding playback that's up to the player and not the controller .

Classic aka Squeezebox 3 can not use logitechs oficial spotify app for
example , you must use triodes plugin on your own server , so these
older players would not be able to use mysqueezebox.com exclusively for
spotify ( but it works fine if have local server ).
I actually don't know much about any other limitation as streaming
services are a bit limited where I live , any service using AAC may also
need serverside help .

I think mog and other works without limitations if you live where you
could get them .