TheLastMan wrote:

> I was aware that I could install a software player on a mini-PC, and
> that one comes bundled with Vortexbox anyway. I am not looking for the
> eptiome of small and cheap.  I am quite happy to install Vortexbox on
> something like a Zotac atom based mini-PC if necessary, provided it will
> sync securely with other players.

I've used Squeezelite on a Zotac Zbox AD04 with its analogue output,
worked great as far as I could see.
It was while squeezelite was still a beta version and I tried but didn't
succeed to get it to work with the HDMI output, but was more of a OS
problem than a squeezelite problem since I didn't even get the HDMI
audio to work with other software. Will have to try again with the
latest version when I get the time.

TheLastMan wrote:

> I suppose I am more worried about Triode deciding to retire from
> supporting his plugins.  However the Squeezelite project gives me hope
> that he has not given up yet.

As all third party developers I'm sure he loves to get positive feedback
and ideas for potential improvements.
If you want to ensure he stays, keep giving him positive feedback, help
with beta testing, troubleshooting your own and other users setup and
give him ideas for potential improvements.

A few years back some people were worried about using third party
plugins because they were afraid they wouldn't be supported in the
future, instead they wanted Logitech to add the functionality to the
core because then the long term maintenance would be secured, they
thought...

TheLastMan wrote:

> What does this guy do for a living?  Where does he find the time to do
> this stuff?

It's all about priorities, reality shows on TV and sleeping 12 hours per
day is generally overrated ;-)

TheLastMan wrote:

> He should start asking for donations.
> I think he might be surprised at how many use his plugins and are
> prepared to show their gratitude financially in order to secure
> continued plug-in support, particularly those of us in the UK.

Everything isn't about money, some people like to do development just
because it's creative and fun and it's also nice to make people happy
and get the positive feedback.

Donations and commercial plugins introduce an extra level of
administration and effort which is needed to keep tax authorities happy,
it also have a tendency to make your hobby feel like work and
obligations which isn't always positive. So if you don't need the extra
money or doesn't want the extra administration, donations and commercial
solutions might not be the best solution to motivate yourself.

I haven't regretted my decision to make some of my plugins commercial,
but I can definitely understand why some developers doesn't want to take
that route because even if it's positive from a financial perspective it
also introduce some new non technical challenges and negative aspects as
described above. Donations generally doesn't work on longer terms, at
least it didn't for me, too few users is prepared to voluntarily donate
money to make it worth the effort and if you get a lot of donations the
tax authorities is going to get interested and then you get the extra
administration without the high revenue.