jarrod2750 wrote:
> I was able to get my hands on a small form factor Dell Optiplex ($50)
> which I'm upgrading the RAM and Hard Drive. Am I still better off making
> this a VortexBox or is there any benefit to running the LMS server on
> the computer and not converting to a Vortex?
I'm not sure I understand the question, so forgive me if I get it wrong.
Either way you are going to be running LMS on your new Dell. If you
install the Vortexbox software then you will be installing a customized
derivative of the Fedora Linux operating system, with the customizations
including a lot of audio-focused features such as LMS, ripping, and
tagging programs installed in the base system. The Vortexbox software
also uses a graphical user interface that shields the user from a lot of
the Linux stuff going on the background, so there is no need to learn
obscure command line interface syntax.

The alternative is to use the operating system that comes with the Dell
and install LMS on that, or install a different operating system (some
flavor of Windows or Linux) and install LMS on that.

Or did you mean running LMS on your other computer? If so, then I would
probably make the Dell Optiplex a dedicated music server, and use either
Vortexbox or some other flavor Linux + LMS. Vortexbox would be the
easier solution.