Following d6jg comments, I just did a retest  on Panasonic with old
video console - analog audio in did comeout on digital audio out. I
think I must have messed up some setting last time I tried or did
something stupid like vol on mute.

toby10 wrote:
> Yes, both are common limitations of TV audio outs, neither would be
> corrected if using HDMI out.  ;)
>
> Few would have analog audio input into a TV if they are expecting
> digital/5.1 output.  The more common setup is digital to AVR for
> surround and simultaneous analog to TV for non-surround use (like
> watching news, etc...).
>
> 2.0 digital output is really meant for input into an AVR which will
> matrix 2.0 to 5.1 (or more) via a DSP like Dolby ProLogicII.
>
> Common TV audio outs these days are:
> -  5.1 digital out if using the TV's own tuners (OTA, cable, QAM)
> -  2.0 digital out if using external digital input source (DVD,
> sat/cable box, BD)
> -  no digital output if using external analog input source

I agree no technical reason but the use of HDMI on a sound bar could
simplify thing for the end user - just one type of cable. No toslink,
coax, minijack or RCA phono.  However at the moment with the need to
connect to legacy and ordinary audio equipment digital out makes sense
for Sonos.