I know, I have been working on this a bit after the first release
although at least on the Air it should become smooth as soon as the
artwork is fully cached.

There are several aspects at play here:

1. Scheduling is worse under iOS 7 than under iOS 6. The same code just
compiled under iOS 7 performs much worse, especially whenever disc write
operations are involved, even if they happen in the background.
I was able to mitigate this by running more of the artwork handling in
the background but I wasn't able to get this stable and I suspect some
of the performance gain comes from losing some artwork.

2. I iOS 7 loses a lot of performance through the live blur effects, in
this case for the navigation bar (header). This doesn't apply to the
mini (where I believe it's always turned off) but it helps to turn this
off: Settings->General->Accessibility->Increase contrast. It will not
affect iPeng's own effects on the NowPlaying screen.

3. I do now support track artwork for the current playlist.
Unfortunately this makes the artwork handling a bit more complex since
another lookup step is involved. If a lot of artwork is being loaded, a
lot of performance is lost.

But all of that said: I did find a few optimization a that will make the
next update perform better plus you'll notice a significant speed up
once the artwork is cached.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
*New: Logitech UE Smart Radio* as well as iPeng Party, the free
Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com