Fifer Wrote:
> Statistically, there's very little relationship between the
> self-selecting sample who come here for help and the total population
> of owners.

Oh I don't know about that, I think a much bigger percentage of owners
than you might think are on these fora. It's that kind of product.
There are also plenty of people lurking and looking for tips and help,
but not posting. I get a lot of information from sites without ever
needing to post "help, I can't get it working".

Roku sell on high street stores with the promise of out-of-the-box ease
of use and a easy-on-the-decor look. The truth may be different and SB
isn't sold on that premise, although the SB3 fixes the looks, but a
magazine targeting a mainstream audience isn't going to go for the
better sounding, but slightly geeky product over the one that places
adverts and presents a more "sophisticated" image.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle, SB is a product that
appeals to technically minded people who will search it out following
recommendations or research and are looking for the best sounding
player. It isn't for everyone and that's fine, because for those that
do find it, it has the right qualities. To make it right for a bigger
audience would involve a lot more investment and probably an end to
open source development and go more down something like the Apple
iTunes/Airport/iPod or Sonus proprietary route. Then we couldn't
tweak.

And I wouldn't worry too much about the reviews. After all, if it got a
good review and lots of people bought it, we'd all be complaining that
it wasn't as good as it used to be! Just like when your favourite
underground band gets discovered...  :-)

Having said all that, why not aim to have the installation be as easy
as possible so that for the vast majority of people, no tweaking is
required?

I still think the Server should be re-written in Java though :-)

Paul

--
CardinalFang