Yes, you can tell it where the library is, but if the music files are
not stored in the iTunes library (there is no way i would let iTunes
manage my music files/tags/structure) then the library basically just
has a pointer to the physical location of the music file (this is an
entry for each and every music file).  This is in addition to a lot for
metadata about each music track.  So.. I am not moving the iTunes
library, but I have moved the music which the itunes library records
point to.

I have discovered that the .itl file appears to be the master, and that
it creates the xml file when itunes loads - so changing the xml file
with a different location is futile because it just creates a new one at
the next startup..