bpa wrote:

> Play the stream in VLC GUI and look at message windows set to level 2 -
> VLC sepnds loads of time just trying to figure out how these stream
> should be played as they are not what HLS was intended. ffplay is not
> transcoding MP3 into flac nor fixing mono/stereo bug (after having to
> decode from flac and then sending through sox) so it is missing some CPU
> processing  there. HLS was intended to plays 5-10 sec chunks of HD video
> - these broadcaster are doing 5-10 secs chunks of mono MP3 (each chunk
> requires about 3 HTTP request with playlists)  - there must be more time
> spent processing headers and playlists than actual audio.  The amount of
> data in mono audio compared to HD video is tiny.

I ended up downloading ffmpeg static from
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
I tried it and I was so surprised that it supports conversion of all
sorts of formats including m3u8 and rtsp.. with a CPU load of 1-3%... So
I fiddled around with it and sure enough I was able to get this config
file to play well, for all the streams I have. So now I am back to a
single Xplay running everything with 2% CPU load! Here is the file, hope
you find it interesting. and thanks again for your guidance.

Code:
--------------------

  xplay wav * *
        # F:{PATH=%f}R:{PATH=%F}
        [ffmpeg] -loglevel quiet -i $PATH$ -vn -ar 44100 -ac 2  -ab 128k -f
s16le -acodec pcm_s16le -
  xplay mp3 * *
        # F:{PATH=%f}R:{PATH=%F}B:{BITRATE=-B %B}
        [ffmpeg] -loglevel quiet -i $PATH$ -vn -ar 44100 -ac 2  -ab 128k -f mp3
-acodec mp3 -

You can certainly add a flac section by swapping mp3 with flac.