yeomanspc wrote:
> I read the other day that Windows 7 support ends in January 2015 -
> frankly, I find it hard to believe, but I'll be going with Windows 8.1
> from here-in.

Well Windows 7 is 5 years old by now... and Windows 8.0 is 2 years
old...

Windows 7 is still good and solid and will have driver support for some
years to come. Since 2009 it have received various functionality
updates, most notably the Platform Update to the graphics system
required to support IE10.

But will it get IE12 and DirectX 12 for example? not sure

Windows 8.x... besides all the touch malarkey, offers many improvements
that can be overlooked;
- faster boot
- native USB3 support
- UEFI BIOS support
- lower power consumption; cleaned up the internals so that the PC can
stay longer at lower power levels
- redesigned printer handling
- all graphics 2D+3D are run hardware accelerated; this lead to the
Platform Update for Windows 7
- lower memory usage
- ...

All in all a sleeker Windows... when Toms Hardware did a Browser Grand
Prix comparing the various browsers on Windows 7 and 8 they could
clearly see that all the browsers performance improved.

Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver
A-500x -> B&W 704
Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
-> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High
Mem)
Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D