I feel your pain!  I have started using an app called Picky.  I don't
remember if it is free or not, but it is on the app store.  My
understanding is that the developer created this app when people started
complaining about the changes Apple made to the music app in IOS7.
Picky is pretty similar to the old Apple music app - you can choose just
one album to play, and when you select an artist you see just a list of
albums, not the complete song list on each album.  Using a function
called a Picklist, you can easily add songs or an entire album to play
once the current album has finished.  The app is not perfect, but it is
much better than the stock Apple music app.  Picky is also actively
being developed and the developer is very receptive to suggestions for
future versions.

Pat