mintaudio wrote:
> ickstream is a bit of an enigma.. I'm not entirely sure if this is
> deliberate or just overly obscure marketing. I've even had contact from
> one of the team at one point asking if we'd be interested in developing
> with ickstream and to be honest - I still have little idea what it
> does!
> One assumes it works with streaming media, but solely? and with which
> providers? It is just a platform or a complete product?

It's probably because it's been a looong time since we had that contact
and we have had our share of realignments, too.

Now... first of all: what is "a complete product"? If by that you mean
hardware, then no, it's a platform.

What ickStream does now is essentially two things:

1. It's a backend system to integrate streaming media services under one
single API. A bit like MySqueezebox.com but content aware and designed
for scaleability. This is what we will use in the public beta to allow
Squeezebox users to support TIDAL (and a number of other services not
yet available for the SBs or poorly supported on SBs). For the SBs in
this case it will work through a plugin for LMS.

2. It's a client-side platform allowing hardware vendors to build
streaming hardware. In this respect it's a bit different from the
Squeezebox system in that it has less reliance of a central server. The
plugin in 1. will support this functionality, too (essentially exporting
a Squeezebox as an ickStream player). And if you use this functionality,
you can support both local and online sources.

The libraries for 2. are open source under a BSD-type license and can
already now be found on our GitHub page.

We started primarily with 2. but actually these days 1. has become more
important, this has caused a bit of a delay and probably confusion.

As for Squeezebox support... our closed beta currently also has clients
for our own player model (2.) for Squeezebox Touch and Radio so that
these Squeezeboxes could then use the services ickStream provides even
without LMS running but for the launch of the public beta we don't
regard that as stable enough to launch it into the wild.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*