After playing around with it some more, I now think it's a case of a bad
solder joint or other bad/flaky connection.  Running it without the
case, I was able to make the "no ethernet connection" condition come and
go by putting slight pressure on the board or connections.  And also
getting into/out of repeating button press mode.

If the problem is in the main connections between the external connector
daughter board and the main board, I may be able to improve it, but if
it's not that, there's probably no hope.

I could get it to the point of selecting a track to play, but still no
luck actually getting the counter to start playing.  Perhaps if the
solder joints are improved the wifi mode will start working reliably...
Well I'll  report back in a few days once I monkey with improving the
connections.