I have, among the other SB devices around my apartment, a SB Classic.

It's connected with analog to a pair of self powered speakers.

Today I tried turning it on from the web interface and play some music.
Nothing came out. I started investigating.

Basically what I have is the player seems to be working. It's seen by
the server, it's seen by the router (it gets connectivity through WiFi
and gets assigned an IP). If I sync player with it and start playing
from it, the other players play music.

But the screen stays off and no sound comes out of it.

I think I tried correctly the Xiling thing but the screen didn't turn on
at all.

Optical connection shows the usual faint red light.