mherger wrote:
> > I'd say: no chance. Use AirPlay/ShairTunes, it's the same thing.
>
> Not quite: Spotify Direct doesn't need your phone to be around to
> stream. It's streaming directly to the player.

Yes, I meant from a UX perspective.

verypsb wrote:
> Yes, I agree, but I think that some people expect their devices/apps to
> behave exactly like this...

Oh, I didn't mean to say it's a bad idea. I think it's the model of
choice for around half of the users while it doesn't work at all for the
other half.
My main point is: The Squeezebox shouldn't be the product of choice for
such a setup, you can go with much simpler speakers then, no need for a
server, an own library, lossless support and things like that.

bernt wrote:
> https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Publish-the-Spotify-Connect-Wireless-speaker-API/idi-p/520890
>
> We ended the presentation with finally announcing that we’re opening up
> the Spotify Connect API to more vendors and developers very soon,
> creating endless possibilities to control and sync music context across
> apps and audio hardware.
>
> https://developer.spotify.com/news-stories/2014/03/21/developer-brunch-sxsw-recap/
Oh, all that means is that they dumped they original, hardware based
"Spotify Connect" and replaced it with a software-based solution that
can theoretically be integrated into a lot more devices.
It does not mean they provided an open API or give it to anyone, they
are still being very restrictive on this.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 8, the Universal App for iOS 7 and iOS 8*