I just wanted my document to mirror the *actual* content of anyone's
collection - if I just use LMS CLI calls for counts they would not be an
accurate reflection of the document

That's not true. Because there's no such thing as the "actual" content, other than the number of files on your disc. But then don't rely on LMS' database, because it does apply rules configured by the user. There's no such thing as THE number of artists unless you specify what you consider an artist. etc.

If you want the real, one and only truth, you'll have to explain your rules of truth, not try to understand LMS' :-)

--

Michael