Mnyb wrote:
> Wow its apearently on by default on the analog out :)
>
> https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6290498?hl=en
>
> So op may have got "louder" sound this way and confused that with better
> ? Or the hifi used is not suited for real dynamics .
> This dynamic compression feuture can be useful with tiny speakers used
> outdoors on the beach or on your patio .

OP is using a DAC which I presume is using optical connection and so
Full Dynamic Range is on by default.

IIRC Originally Chromecast always output 44.1Khz/16 bit on optical -
there was an update which then enabled higher rates 96Khz etc. on the
optical conenction so I presumed "Full Dynamic Range" means stream is
passed through unmodified.