I understand zilch about electronics and electricity but this I know:
the VFD screen uses high voltage, there is a transformer in there that
converts the low voltage current flowing from your PSU to high voltage.
If your PSU is weak or if the power plug in the SB3 has some
play/rust/soldering issue (you'll find posts about these 3 cases IIRC),
then perhaps the transformer is not fed enough current to activate the
screen.

If would try wiggling the socket, or using another PSU.

I don't know if a xilinx reset can help (press key "1" while booting,
see 'wiki page'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_Last_FW)),
but trying is easy.

Reseating the wifi card or removing it if it has turned bad seem to cure
all sorts of issues.

3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9
(linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa
• IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon
Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael
Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by
Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin
Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.