Many thanks for the further reply - and for your time in wading through
that horribly formatted PC Advisor website.

I've been checking the set up again and I think I've cracked it: I think
the problem was that I'd set the IP address of the repeater *within* the
range that the main router was allocating. I won't pretend to know why
this would have caused the problems it did but in correcting it, both my
phone and Squeezebox 2 seem to be happily connecting to LMS.

This has been tormenting me since moving into this house almost 6 months
ago so I'm thrilled to finally have a solution :D

Many thanks, once again, for your time and advice.