My Logitech Squeezebox has just died so I want to buy a replacement. I
can see some secondhand Slim Devices version for sale, which look the
same apart from obviously the logo. Are they the same?

Yes.

Will I just be able to plug it in, point it to my network, and it'll
carry on as per my beloved dead unit?

Will it even take on all my display settings I've programmed for my old
one (in Squeeze Server), such as using super date time etc?

No, per-player settings will not be carried over to the new unit. I think there's a plugin to do this, though.

--

Michael