Thanks for the tip on browsing to the NAS files.  I will definitely give
WINSCP a try.

On the long start delay,
The original FLAC files from HD Tracks had a 4000 x 4000 pixel cover art
embedded in each track.  My first thought is that was so large it was
delaying the start of the music while it streamed the album cover.  So
the first thing I tried was shrinking the cover art to 400 x 400 pixels
and using MP3Tag to replace the cover art.  That didn't seems to make
any difference in the start up time, but now I'm wondering if somehow
the FLAC file still had a large space reserved for the larger cover art
file.  Then re-saving the FLAC file with Goldwave reduced the file size
by reducing the space for the cover art.
I don't know if there is any way to examine the FLAC file contents and
see how much is music and how much is tags and art.

Thanks for everyone's help with this.  I'm learning a lot.

Terry