Interesting thread.

I nearly asked about Spotify use patterns in the audiophile forum. Is it
sacrilege? :-)

I am what many would call an "audiophile", yet I *adore* Spotify. Their
collection is amazing, audio quality is great (shut up you "I could only
listen to the mouse fart in a corner of the studio in the 192/24 HD
re-issue" people), and convenient as hell. I have a huge collection of
music, and Spotify these days probably covers 80% of it. Awesome. It
means I basically wasted over $25k on stuff I could get for $10 a month.
Do the math. I love my 1TB music collection but if I was starting off...
it'd be Spotify playlists. There are only about 5 albums where I can or
care to tell a difference between MP3 and uncompressed.

Spotify is not selling out. It's just about embracing a convenient way
when it comes to enjoying a huge choice of quality music. Which is why
we embraced CDs initially, no vinyl temperamental stuff (which some
people embrace and love now again, not me, ever again; but to each their
own).

I'll keep buying music, but Spotify or whatever follows is there to stay
in my arsenal for sheer convenience.

...pablo
Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu
16.04 + LMS 7.9
System: SB Touch --optical->- Benchmark DAC2HGC --AnalysisPlus Oval
Copper XLR->- NAD M22 Power Amp --AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval->- Totem
Element Fire
Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem
DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
Computer audio: workstation --USB->- audioengine D1 -> Grado
PS500e/Shure 1540