Redrum wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Over the years I have acquired allot of equipment including multiple
> squeezebox devices, and have several systems assembled at home - living
> room, upstairs, garage, shop, etc...
>
> A few years ago I bought a cabin that was in need of some love and
> companionship. Sort of like a puppy...I digress. I didn't want to drag
> all sorts of equipment up there, and also wanted a bit of a minimalist
> living, although ISP availability made me happy.
>
> So I setup this system:
>
> 40" basic Samsung Flat Screen (minimal I/O) - antenna only for broadcast
> at this time
> Roku Stick
> DVD player (remembr those?) and all my old dvd's from home
> Squeezebox Boom
> Squeezebox Controller added later
>
> I added the controller later for remote control of the boom, and a "now
> playing" screen, and for simplicity for others to operate.
>
> I am really happy with the Boom as my kit, its really a wonderful basic
> "listen to music". People ask "where are the speakers?". But, here's
> where I need some thoughts and advice:
>
> I decided to add a soundbar that is on its way (Yamaha YAS 107) mostly
> to improve the TV/Streaming experience. Its small = still minimalist ;)
> So, I got to thinking about music streaming playback through the
> soundbar, and how to implement?
>
> Here's what I am going to do right now, the TV as the video/audio
> switcher:
> Roku Stick -> HDMI in on TV
> Antenna -> RF in on TV
> DVD -> Component in on TV
> TV-> Sound Bar via Optical Out of TV, In on soundbar.
>
> I should note that the TV does not support ARC.
>
> I should also note that I will be using a harmony 650 to control all but
> the roku that uses RF, and the SB. It will help people other than me
> operate the setup.
>
> So, what about the music? I could:
>
> 1) connect the headphone analog out of the boom to the analog in of the
> soundbar.
> 2) I have a squeezebox receiver laying around that I can add and go
> analog out to the sound bar. This would work with the harmony.
> 3) I could use that SB receiver and go optical to the soundbar, but
> there is only one optical input on the bar. I could use a toslink
> switch, but it would be preferred if the harmony could control the
> switching (maybe someone knows?)
> 4) I could (you folks fill here here...., perhaps I am overlooking an
> "ah ha!"
>
> One thing I should note, unless the soundbar is far and above superior,
> I still plan on using the boom speakers, so if I have to change a
> setting back and forth or plug/unplug to mute the boom speakers for #1,
> that wouldn't work. I am thinking that #2 or #3 are the favored thoughts
> right now. The Boom could then operate independently.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jim

If you have a spare HDMI on the TV then what about a Google Chromecast
and Phillipe's LMS plugin (where is the LMS in your cabin set up?)

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng