You say "some files", are we talking tens of files in a handful
directories or tens of thousands files spread all over the place?
Not sure if it solves the issue, and depending on the situation it may
for a number of reasons not be manageable, but perhaps building a set of
symbolic links with the desired extension in a separate directory could
solve this. LMS scans a directory with one extension, iTunes sees
another but it's the same file.
To me, it seems better to never rename the files and let iTunes work
with a bunch of symlinks, but if that doesn't work, try the other way
around.