Redrum wrote:
> Thank you, this is exactly the feedback I was looking for! Yes, forgot
> to mention that the USB drive would be up in the loft with the modem,
> router and the Pi. Samba was the key that I was unaware of (no Pi
> experience, soon to change). #1 was my preferred.
>
> With no VPN, I can just use thumbdrives, dropbox, etc and use the PC to
> transfer any new files from locations #1 to #2 and rescan. The second
> location is more of a "just play music/news, etc" and 90% of the time
> it's just streaming internet stations.
>
> Thank you again,
> Jim

I thought your preference would be for #1.

An idea. When you have worked it all out using a couple of thumb drives.

Get 2 identical USB drives. Make them both clones of your full music
collection.
You will need to get the formatting and data structure right.
Keep one at home and one at the remote location.
Before you go to the remote location update the home one and take it
with you and swap it before use.
Bring back the other and redo.

VB2.4[/B] STORAGE *QNAP TS419P (NFS)
[B]Living Room* - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
*Office* - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3
-> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
*Dining Room* -> SB Boom
*Kitchen* -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
*Bedroom (Bedside)* - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
*Bedroom (TV)* - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
Everything controlled by iPeng