I'm also thinking of abandoning my aging SB3 (late Logitech era, all
black). While the SB3 itself works fine (though the reported WIFI
strength is very low), the IR emitter seems to be fried - no output
generated by IR blaster (checked with a phone that reliably can see the
IR diodes firing). Of course it might only be a problem in the analog
audio path to the headphone jack (probably the usual capacitor death
syndrome). Unfortunately, my soldering skills are severely lacking, so
putting together a pCP is the easier solution.