peterw wrote:
> I disagree. Plenty of companies - from giants like Google to small
> outfits like Schedules Direct, fully publish APIs but rely on individual
> customers to pay for API keys or other authentication credentials.

All of these companies are masters of their own fate. Music streaming
services usually aren't. They have agreements with rights owners about
how they have to secure content and most of these tend to be on the more
ridiculous side of things.
When we started ickStream, I too though this would somehow be about
technology....

The issue is not so much the authentication credential - that's done
through the user account.
The problem is having an API key open to the public. I'm not aware of
anyone allowing this if there is one.
There are a lot of cases here where it's done, but most of them (like
the YouTube plugin etc.) essentially violate some T&Cs.

Of course, you COULD handle this but it requires user action. The user
would have to get an API key/authenticate etc. and these APIs are meant
for vendors, not users.

> Unfortunately true. I see a big split in business models. .... I hope
> all will migrate to the latter model...

It's not a deliberate choice in this case. And migrating to something
that makes sense is usually not an option.

Spotify has had some success in designing something that is both kind of
open and works for them and getting that pushed down the throat of
rights owners but overall this process has taken them soooo many
years....

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*