That's interesting if the board is part of the thermal design.  If the
heat is intended to reach the mounting holes, then brass stand-offs
should help to pull that heat away.  Another option is to use longer
stand-offs and make the 'hat' connection via a short ribbon cable.
That'll create a bit more space around the CPU.  Yes, it would have been
good to have the CPU on the underside (for my installation certainly),
but I suspect they were conscious that this could affect compatibility
with a lot of earlier installations/cases/fans etc.