Thanks for all responses so far.

Paul, what you are describing is very close to what I have in mind, but
my friends don't yet have enough experience with current music
technology to know what their preferences are. They are certain they
don't want always-listening smart speakers. Other than that, I'm trying
to get them to play around with streaming services, so they can find out
what they like and whether they need to have a local library.

bpa, thanks for your clarification about when updates are needed. That's
something I'll need to keep in mind for my friends.

Gary, I notice your brother's instructions are to pull the plug if
there's a problem with pcp. I understand that can cause problems when
LMS is running on pcp. Do you do anything to deal with issues that might
arise? Is it enough to be sure there's a backup SD card ready to swap
out, in case the one in use becomes corrupted?

LMS 8 nightly; 3 Squeezelite players connected by powerline ethernet; 5
wireless players connected via Airplay Bridge; 1 SqueezeAmp player
no high-end or esoteric audio gear
1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired