I've just rebuilt my LMS due to SSL problems on Windows 10, as discussed
in this forum,
https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111658-LMS-8-0-repository-problem/page9

and then came across this before logging off.

I posted this description of my Windows set-up in part to describe why I
would prefer not to switch to a Pi or even more general a Linux distro.

Yes, Pi's are super cheap and so is the distro etc. However, if you are
Windows literate, you can buy perfectly capable Dell Optiplex Small Form
Factor PC's for around $25. The Optiplex SFF all have an embedded
Windows license key in firmware. Even if they don't ship with a drive
you can install a small SSD, install Windows 7 and then go through
Windows 10 upgrade for free. What follows is my description from the
other forum. For wifi, we have a 130ft long home, with a full basement.
We run 3x wifi networks, 1-guest, 1-streaming, 1-approved laptops,
phones etc. I have 1x wifi extender that repeats all wifi signals in the
basement. We have LMS players in EVERY room and one on the back patio,
and one in the garage. Most of our video streaming is done via hard
wired systems.

--------------------

I could indeed switch my LMS Server to Linux from Windows, but I suspect
a whole new set of problems would open up. I use 2x 2008-year ReadyNas
servers accessed from Windows via SMB, one is the primary, the other is
a backup of the primary and backs up weekly directly using rsync. The
primary is linked as a drive into LMS Windows system. The LMS Windows
system also does an incremental backup everyday of any new files in the
music/pictures/documents folder to the cloud using iDrive who allow the
backup of network drives from Windows.

I run the LMS on a 2014 Dell OptiPlex 3020 headless and access via
Remote Desktop Connection. Everything is automated. So yeah I could
switch, but I'd prefer not to.

If I can ever be of any help testing or debugging LMS on Windows, I'm
always willing...

https://ctproduced.com < Creed Taylor/CTI/KUDU
http://markcathcart.com/about

Running LMS Server, currently v8.0.0, (1600976618) on Headless WIN10
System; music on Netgear ReadyNAS; Transporter(Living Room)+Duet
Controller; Squeezebox Touch(Master Bedroom), (2x)Boom(Office, Patio),
Radio(Guest Bedroom), Classic(garage), Duet(basement). Also using
Squeezeplay on Windows 10. Use Orange Squeeze app on Android.