I had occasionally thought about trying to write a dedicated screensaver
to show various real-time geo/weather maps, maybe a bit like a
'Geochron' (https://geochron.co.uk/) display.  But then I saw how
'@sodface was using the built-in Image Viewer screensaver'
(https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?111488-Jivelite-on-Alpine-Linux&p=1001020&viewfull=1#post1001020),
and realised I didn't need to reinvent the wheel.  So since this is now
rather off-topic for @sodface's Alpine Linux thread, I thought I'd post
an example here, just as a heads-up in case, like me, you hadn't
realised that the image viewer can be used this way.

In my case, I am using a script on a pCP setup to fetch a number of
images from various internet sites and store them in a local folder
called 'home/tc/ScreenSaverImages'.  I then call this script every 15
minutes using a cron job.  I have configured the Image Viewer
screensaver to use local storage, and to look in that folder.
Fortunately, which is key to this, the Image Viewer screensaver seems to
re-read the directory and re-load each image file whenever it updates,
so I can add images to that folder, or update existing images, and the
screensaver always cycles through the current images.  My script also
pushes this folder to a couple of Jogglers which are set up to use the
Image Viewer screensaver.

I started off trying to use some of the nice images provided by
Fourmilab, but the server eventually locks me out even if I only fetch
one image every 15 minutes, and only during the hours when I'm likely to
want to see the images - it seems -very- determined to stop the server
being overwhelmed - so I've stopped using that source.

I now collect a variety of images from other sources, and am on the
lookout for other sources, so please go ahead and post anything you
think might be interesting.  My current 'GetScreenSaverImages.sh' script
is as follows:

Code:
--------------------
    #UK Rain
  wget "https://api.sat24.com/mostrecent/GB/rain"; -O
/home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/UKRain.bmp

  #UK Snow
  wget "https://api.sat24.com/mostrecent/GB/snow"; -O
/home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/UKSnow.bmp

  # UK Sun & Clouds
  wget "https://api.sat24.com/mostrecent/GB/visual5hdcomplete"; -O
/home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/UKSunClouds.bmp

  # UK Infrared
  wget "https://api.sat24.com/mostrecent/GB/infrapolair"; -O
/home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/UKInfraRed.bmp

#https://api.sat24.com/crop?type=visual5hdcomplete&lat=55.9533&lon=-3.1883&width=800&height=800&zoom=0.30&continent=eu

  #Moon visibility
  wget "https://www.timeanddate.com/scripts/sunmap.php?obj=moon"; -O
/home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/moonlight.bmp

  #Day and Night
  wget "https://www.timeanddate.com/scripts/sunmap.php?earth=1"; -O
/home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/DayNight.bmp

  #Images available from Fourmilab.  Server locks you out if you take images
regularly, so no longer used
  #wget
"https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Earth?img=cloudy.bmp&dynimg=y&opt=-p&date=0";
-O /home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/CloudyEarth.bmp
  #wget
"https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Earth?img=NASAmMM-l.evif&dynimg=y&opt=-p&date=0";
 -O /home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/NASADayNight.bmp

  # Push images to Jogglers
  rsync -avhiO --delete /home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/
root@192.168.1.21:/root/ScreenSaverImages/
  rsync -avhiO --delete /home/tc/ScreenSaverImages/
root@192.168.1.22:/root/ScreenSaverImages/
--------------------

With a bit of luck, the images below should be the current versions of
the above images.  If you're not from the UK, the images from sat24 can
be configured to show other regions (Europe only I think).

UK Rain
[image: https://api.sat24.com/mostrecent/GB/rain]

UK Snow
[image: https://api.sat24.com/mostrecent/GB/snow]

UK Sun & Clouds (visible, i.e. doesn't show anything after dark)
[image: https://api.sat24.com/mostrecent/GB/visual5hdcomplete]

UK Infrared
[image: https://api.sat24.com/mostrecent/GB/infrapolair]

Moon visibility