wildgoose wrote:
> Another vote for pi and PiCorePlayer setup. :)
>
> My pi4 uses about 3.0w of power (measured using Emporia Smart Plug)
> while doing stuff (1.55w while idle). It's actually overkill for LMS.
> For that I use my pi3+, with a directly attached 256GB ssd (and a 16g
> microSD). CPU is basically idle when streaming flac directly to my
> multiple squeezeboxes. When transcoding hi-res to CD 16/44.1 wav (for my
> original squeezebox sb1), cpu is just around 30%. Best of all, it's
> completely silent, and rock solid. I leave it on 24x7 because its energy
> usage is like noise compare to the rest of the house.
>
> my windows i7 on the other hand uses about 160w at idle. 200+w when I am
> doing stuff. Despite buying "quiet" components, it's not silent. I was
> running LMS on my windows box couple of years ago. I swear when I
> switched to PCP, LMS GUI response felt snappier.

I have a Pi3 (I think it's the B model, with built-in wifi), though it's
fussy because the last time I upgraded wifi in my house I bought Orbi.
I've used it as a player, though not as a server.

Question: can I run a conventional external HD off a Pi, (think
portable, small), or do spinning discs draw too much power?

s.