Apparently, with newer version of chrome, it must remember the response
to the conflict (which is to go insecurely and override the need for
https), because it is now not stopping but running as it should.  Since
I am behind my router, and within my lan, this should not be a security
issue.

I also found a LMS front-end that looked interesting and is designed
just for this problem here:
https://hub.docker.com/r/jgoerzen/logitech-media-server.  I was thinking
about trying this.  Has anyone here tried this ?

At least I now understand why LMS remains using http since the hardware
(in my case a squeezebox-2) requires it.  Once again constrained by the
abandonment of the product by Logitech after purchasing from slimserver
leaving the customer base.  I like the logitech mice, but disdain what
they did here.  They could update the firmware to fix.