As far as I can tell a full streaming or casting device class definition
has yet to be agreed by the CSA. I suspect if and when the definition is
agreed that it will end up as a lowest common denominator effort, at
least initially.  As Paul says, it's difficult to see what matter would
bring to the LMS/squeezebox party in the short to medium term.

Although matter has open source reference apps/firmwares and SDK, the
actually implementation of a device that can be used in a real matter
deployment requires 3rd party certification at a test house. Otherwise
the device cannot be included the ring of trust required by the matter
security model. It may be that only businesses or the incorporated
commercial arms of the larger community platforms (e.g. NabuCasa for
Home Assistant) will be able to get/hold certification.  To either use
LMS to stream to matter certified devices, or to allow something within
a matter fabric to stream to our existing players will likely require
some form of certified bridge. We may be dependent upon the willingness
of 3rd parties to provide the necessary functionality for us, e.g. Apple
may decide to bridge Airplay into a matter fabric so you could stream to
any matter connected speaker, likewise Google & Chromecast.

Of more immediate use would be if manufacturers of e.g.
amplifiers/active speakers included simple matter compatible on/off
switching & volume endpoints in their kit (as per the speaker class), it
should then be relatively straightforward to link through a home
automation platform (e.g. Home Assistant) to request that the end device
was turned on or off in sympathy with the player stream, and maybe even
control the volume.

I think this is a 'wait and see'.

Chris