On 12/8/05, eq72521 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In my setup now, I maintain two libraries: FLAC and lame 3.96.1 -V 6
MP3.  I know the MP3s are rather low quality, but as their target is
the car/portable, small filesize is more important:

I think you're completely right on that being the solution - that's what i'd do as well, so the format played becomes irrelevant.  FLAC at home and mp3 for portables

1GB really isn't that much (~20
CDs at best), especially if you're used to the 10GB iPod.

However, as soon as you have >10gb of music you're moving stuff back and forth and never have what you want anyway.

Also, if the flash memory goes bad on the player, you're in the market for a whole new
player.  As such, I looked for players that had a slot for some kind of
external storage.

A nice idea - again, that was my thinking.  I'd be able to carry more than one card and use them for the camera/pda./phone (though they'll all end up being different formats in all liklihood).

  In the end I went with the decidedly no-frills Lexar
LDP 200 ( http://lexar.com/mp3/index.html).
As I said, the player is seriously no frills,
and I do have some minor qualms, but overall it has been great.

Give me more - what are the drawbacks.  I'm just about to go on holiday so want something for a trip to asia and then something small enough to put in my pocket rather than bag when cycling to work.  plus something with standard battery.  What doesn't this one do?

The other argument is that the iriver is cheap enough to use  for a while by which time another player will be cheap enough......now a 10gb flash player for £100...