> Jack Coates wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, as others have noted, multicast doesn't like wireless.
>
> There may be issues with layer 2 ethernet multicast over certain
> vendors' APs, but the standard layer 3 routed multicast packets (that
> I at least was speaking of?) will work fine regardless of the layer 2
> device underneath..  Wireless won't make a difference as long as the
> device is acting as a bridge and not a router.
>
> -- Mike

Theoretically, you are right. In practice, multicast does not like
wireless. Granted, it may be able to struggle along well enough to serve
the low-bandwidth needs of a Squeezebox stream, but since there are plenty
of people unable to get that working now, I have my doubts.

On a side note, try typing "Theory" into Google Earth :)

Anyway, multicast (much like Ethernet itself) rather requires that all
nodes in the group are able to operate at a lowest common denominator
speed. WAPs deal with this situation by either breaking the bus down into
bridged zones based on the connection speeds attained by the connected
nodes, or by forcing all nodes to the speed attained by the slowest node.
Therefore an IP multicast group may contain members who are at 1.1 mbps
half-duplex and members who are at 11 mbps half-duplex. A WAP that's
bridging into a real Ethernet is even worse, as now the fast end of the
pool is 100 Mbps full-duplex.

End result is that your entire multicast group bumbles along at 50% of 1.1
mbps in order to cater to the slowest node, who is still complaining
mightily that it's going too fast and that he's missing half the packets.
By doing unicast streams instead, most nodes perform fine and the slow
node is the only one who sucks. Sure, you could write your multicast so
that slow complainers get dropped, but why would SDI go to that effort for
this application?

--
Jack At Monkeynoodle.Org:  It's A Scientific Venture...
"Believe what you're told; there'd be chaos if everyone thought for