agentsmith Wrote:
> Hope I am not causing a stir here.
>
> Just wondering how the new XBox 360 compares with the Slim offering.  I
> have an Sb2 and am wondering if I should get an XBOX too.

The 360 has several big advantages over the Squeezebox:

1.  It can use WMC (on a regular XP box) or Media Center (on an MCE
box) functionality, so doesn't require installation of third-party
software like SlimServer.  This is nice if you have a Media Center, but
not important with XP, since WMC is about as resource-hungry as
SlimServer (no surprise; it's doing basically the same task).

2.  It's PlaysForSure compliant, so works great with the subscription
music services (Yahoo, Rhapsody, Napster) and non-iTunes online music
stores.  This is a huge, phenomenal benefit if you have a subscription
service or lots of purchased DRMed tracks, and a total non-issue
otherwise.

3.  It can do HD photo slideshows.  This is very nice, at least with
the Media Center UI (I haven't tried it with the 360 Dashboard UI).  If
you have an HDTV, lots of digital pictures, and people who want to see
them, this is a big deal.  Not competitive with the Squeezebox, but it
puts the Roku HD-1000 right out of business, as far as I'm concerned.

4.  With Media Center, It can stream HD (and non-HD) video.  This is
wonderful if you get HD over-the-air and have a system that can handle
it; or if you get NTSC via any source; or if you really, really love to
watch the three minute snippets of Imax movies available from
Microsoft's WMV-HD Content Showcase.  Otherwise, it's a bit of a
novelty until Vista comes out with CableCard support.

5.  The available games are much, much better.  SlimTris doesn't even
begin to compete with Hexic, never mind Kameo.

But the SB has some big advantages of its own:

1.  The UI is better, even compared to the Media Center UI on the 360.
The 360 limits you -- like a lot of devices -- to a two-tier browse.
Genre, then Album; or Artist, then Album; but never Genre, Artist, and
then Album.  The larger your music collection, the more this matters.

2.  It has real audio output hardware.  The 360 resamples everything to
48KHz (like the Roku M1001) and in general isn't aiming for hi-fi street
cred.  Considering it sells for $400 and has the gaming capabilities it
has, no surprise.

3.  It's quiet.  The 360 is loud, about like a standard desktop
computer in media mode (and more like a SFF computer at 100% CPU
utilization -- which, really, is what it is -- when playing games).  If
you're using it for party music, or to watch Armageddon, no biggie.  But
for listening to relatively quiet music?  Unacceptable.

4.  It doesn't need the TV.  I wasn't sure if this would be a big deal,
but it is.  Having to have the TV on to listen to music bothers me.

My recommendation:

If you don't have a Squeezebox, and play your music on your stereo with
those round disc things (CDs, I believe they used to call them), you
absolutely need to get SOMETHING that'll get you into the modern era.
Both the 360 and the SB are excellent devices, but the SB is a device
built for one purpose -- and an excellent single-purpose device will
nearly always beat an excellent multi-purpose device when performing
its intended function.

If you don't care about gaming, don't use your MCE PC as a DVR, and
don't have a lot of PFS DRMed music, skip the 360 and just get a
Squeezebox.  It's significantly better for pure music.

But if the non-music capabilities of the 360 appeal to you, absolutely
buy one.  Its music capabilities are better than any non-Squeezebox
device (the 360 is much, much better than a Roku SoundBridge, for
instance), and given the video, photo, and gaming capabilities, it's a
steal for $399.

If you do buy a 360, though, seriously consider getting a Squeezebox,
too.  If you can afford it, and care about music in a significant way
(if you have a receiver that costs over $1000 -- or separates of any
kind -- you probably can and do), it's worth it.

--
mkozlows