dlashof wrote:
Fair point. I'm vaguely aware of some of the high end systems costing
$1000, but my sense is that the market for that is quite limited.
Apple has demonstrated that there is a huge market for digital music
systems if you make them user friendly and hit the right price point. I
think the Slim user interface is great. Picking the right ripping format
is still a big mystery for most newbies, but that could be solved by
integrating ripping software into slimserver. If it supported FLAC and
mp3 they could make everyone happy. Then slim technology integrated
into a consumer grade receiver, say at a $350-$450 price point could
take off the way ipods have imho.

Slim Devices also offers ripping service, so people can just ship the box of CDs off and get professionally ripped and tagged files back. There are other ripping services out there which do similar, STFW.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip Since 1996