Pfarrell, I don't think you read my original post correctly.  That's
what I am already doing.  You're describing my home network almost
exactly.

The problem is that there is a bug in the Squeezebox firmware.  When it
makes a DHCP request with bridging enabled, it does so with the *wrong
MAC address*.  And that MAC address was the same on both my units, so I
can't assign an address based on it.  Plus, according to the guy who
originally spotted this bug, that wrong MAC address also changes
unpredictably, so even if it were just one Squeezebox, it would *still*
break.

MrC, I'll try the updated 6.2.2 later on, and will post back with
results.

--
Malor