My original plan was to have a low-end server built ... until I stumbled
on a cheap ($265), low-end server that had everything I needed, in my
case:

AMD Sempron 3100+ CPU
MS WinXP Home
256MB memory (which I upgraded to 768GB for $20)
80GB Ultra ATA hard drive
52x32x52x CD-RW Drive

What I like about this particular PC (Powerspec 5500;
http://www.powerspec.com/systems/system_specs.phtml?selection=5500) is
that the motherboard has 4 SATA ports on it, and the cabinet appeared
to have four empty bays for future expansion (I have since discovered
the hard way that three of the four bays will take a bit of 'creative
re-engineering' if I want to fit a 3.5" drive in them).  I added a
400GB SATA drive (which is where I intend to store all my music) for
$189, and am now in the process of ripping 800 CDs.

I was especially interested in having SATA ports, I personally like the
idea of separating my music collection from the disk containing the OS.
Also, I originally thought I was going to need two disks for my
collection, and was planning on using two SATA drives in a RAID0
configuration ... until some testing showed that my entire collection
won't take up more than about 250GB.

I should point out that the Powerspec 5500 is normally $350, but they
were running a $50 rebate and I found an open-box system which reduced
the cost further.

The one thing this server does not offer is a small form factor, it
uses a mid-size cabinet.

I guess the moral of this story is, you might be able to buy a
pre-built system as cheaply as having one built for you, if you shop
around for rebate deals and open-box specials.

One important question is, how many CDs do you have to rip?  Ripping is
somewhat CPU-intensive ... I find that when I rip to FLAC with
Compression Level 5, or to Windows Media Lossless, my CPU is pegged at
100% busy.  My CD R/W seems to be reading as fast as it is capable, so
the CPU doesn't seem to be slowing down the ripping ... but with a
faster CPU, I could add an external CDROM and rip two CDs at a time.
This won't be an issue once I get through the stack of 800 CDs, though.
With the Sempron CPU and 52x CD R/W, most of my CDs rip in 1.5 to 3
minutes, depending on length.

--
Jon