Mark Lanctot wrote:
Now that I'm using one as an alarm clock radio I'm inclined to agree!

Just something simple. A small class D amp chip like the Tripath TAA2009 - nice-sounding but cheap, 9W/ch at 89% efficiency, good for battery power consumption and average output power for a "boombox". Good (but inexpensive) speakers in the 4" range, with possibly small tweeters. Simple but classy aesthetics like a Tivoli radio. A remote wouldn't be required but there would need to be some sort of control buttons.

For this use, I wouldn't be interested in portability/battery power so much as built-in/included speakers and an amp.

And yes, there's no need for digital or analog outs. As you indicate, we have the full-blown SB3 for "critical" listening. So Slim can do away with the S/PDIF circuitry, quartz timers and high-end DAC.

I'd be interested as well, particularly if it had an AM/FM tuner.

--
Jack at Monkeynoodle dot Org: It's a Scientific Venture...
Riding the Emergency Third Rail Power Trip Since 1996