I'm using a 6.2.2 nightly with no problem.  But you still haven't said which new version you tried, so I'm not sure if that's applicable to you or not.  And in any case, I'm running on Windows XP and on a nightly from a few weeks back, so it wouldn't necessarily apply to your case.

Nobody said these versions are upgrades.  They are beta software releases.  Use at your own risk.