I've experienced the same problem, once.  I have one SB2,
one SB3 and a Linux host for slimserver, all wireless (Netgear
802.11b router).  They had been in sync over many Ogg Vorbis
tracks but the SB3 lost it completely when the server started
streaming a FLAC track.  I don't know why that would make a
difference--I am under the impression that Ogg tracks are
transmitted as FLAC.

The SB3 was the one that went choppy and lost sync.  Skipping
to the next track did not help.  It was very annoying--couldn't
have happened at a worse time.  I attributed the sudden occurrance
to interference from a neighbor's network/microwave/phone.
I've just avoided syncing them since.

--
JazzHarper