squeezeslave is a command line C program to play audio from the
slimserver. It has not gui so all player control has to be done using a
web browser or another program like Moose.

A new release of squeezeslave is available today, you can download
binaries for Windows, Linux and OSX from:
http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net

Tonight I have installed VMware with a Fedora Core 4 linux build. As I
type I am listening to a sync'd Squeezebox 2 with squeezeslave running
on WinXP, FC4 (in VMware) and OSX (on an iBook). This is with a mixed
play list of mp3's and flac files. My desktop is struggling at times,
and has lost sync a couple of times but then it is running two
operating systems and two versions of squeezeslave! All in all I think
it's working really well :).

I seem to be getting some background hiss on the iBook, this could well
be the built-in speakers. I'd like to know if anyone else hears this.

This release supports:
- native flac and mp3 playback
- gapless flac
- dithering on mp3 audio
- player synchronization
- password protected servers
- multiple players on one slimserver (use --mac option to set player
mac address)

It does not yet support:
- aac, wav, etc. (use bitrate limiting to play these formats)
- gain control
- replay gain
- direct streaming (e.g. internet radio)
- audio looping (e.g. for short clips)
- anything other than 44.1Hz streams
- built in ssh tunnelling
- cross fading