Pat answered most of your other questions, but I
guess you should qualify: load on the system in
terms of bandwidth required or load on the
Squeezebox CPU?

For bandwidth, it would be WAV: completely
uncompressed, full bitrate, 1440 kbps.

Note that FLAC was designed to be very easy to
decode, placing most of the processing power
requirement on the encoding step.  It's assumed
that a track will be encoded on a typical PC, so
the encoding emphasis was on compression rather
than efficiency.  Once compressed, the format is
designed to be extremely easy to decompress.  Even
though no hardware FLAC players existed at the
time of its creation, the FLAC developers realized
that the efficiency would have to be concentrated
on the decoding first and foremost.

Thanks to that forward thinking, the Squeezebox
can play FLAC with only modest demands on its 250
MHz RISC processor.

joek wrote:
> I want to be able to stress test and am curious as
to which of the audio
> formats would provide a heavy load on the SB3?
>
> Would it be FLAC, since the SB3 would have to
uncompress a large audio

--

  Mark Lanctot